Re: (rshsdepot) Grand Central's secret stariways

Speaking of Grand Central, is there a definitive history of those buildings that I might use as a reference for a history on Halifax NS's North Street ICR station? I understand that Alexander MacNab, the chief engineer of the ICR's Nova Scotia division at the time, borrowed heavily from the American Design by Snook (?)
Jay Underwood
Elmsdale NS

> From: Jim Dent <jdent1_@_optonline.net>
> Date: 2007/01/09 Tue AM 12:28:58 EST
> To: RSHS List <rshsdepot_@_lists.railfan.net>
> Subject: (rshsdepot) Grand Central's secret stariways
>
> http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local/scn-sa-nor.rrties1jan09,0,1965159.story?coll=stam-news-local-headlines
> Grand Central's secret stariways
> By Mark Ginocchio
> Staff Writer
>
> January 9, 2007
>
> NEW YORK -- Each day at Grand Central Terminal, commuters scale dozens
> of steps as they head to train and subway platforms, and the dining
> concourse on the lower level.
>
> But the view of most visitors are a number of staircases that lead to
> expensive artifacts, secret train platforms and what is presumed to be
> the biggest basement in New York City.
>
> They are as much a part of the history of Grand Central as the celestial
> ceiling, the gold clock atop the information booth in the main concourse
> and the statues of Hercules, Mercury and Minerva at the entrance.
>
> One of the staircases cuts through the bedrock of New York City, 109
> feet, or 10 stories, below the lower level of the terminal.
>
> The gray rusted steel steps and the jagged granite walls that have been
> blotched yellow and red with age lead to M-42, a secret basement that
> occupies 88,000 square feet underneath New York - the entire width and
> length of Grand Central.
>
> Today, M-42 contains generators that produce traction power for
> Metro-North Railroad trains.
>
> During World War II, M-42 may have been one of the most well-guarded
> basements in the United States. The room contained generators that
> powered the entire terminal and all of the city's trains, said Dan
> Brucker, a Metro-North spokesman and Grand Central historian.
>
> M-42 was a well-known target of Adolf Hitler, so armed sentries
> patrolled the basement around the clock.
>
> During the war, it was rumored that German intruders would try to
> destroy the generators by pouring buckets of sand into the turbines,
> Brucker said. If power were lost, it would have been a catastrophe.
>
> "Anyone who came down that staircase would be arrested on site," Brucker
> said. "If anyone ever saw you with a bucket of sand, you would be shot
> on sight."
>
> It is no longer the impenetrable fortress of the World War II era, but
> M-42 is still closed to the public. However, employees use the staircase
> to get to the basement, because the 100-year-old elevator is often out
> of service, Brucker said.
>
> One staircase employees rarely use leads to the peak of Grand Central -
> the clock tower that houses the world's largest sample of Tiffany glass.
>
> In the terminal's Operations Control Center, also closed to the public,
> a blue metal door is blocked by a copy machine. The copy machine can be
> moved and the door opened to reveal a small entry blocked in part by a
> concrete X. Duck beneath the X and there is the first of a series of
> [...]

From Railfare-DC Books:
http://railfare.net/builtforwar.html
Visit the Nova Scotia Railway Hall of Fame:
www.nsrwyhalloffame.com
Visit the Nova Scotia Railway Heritage Society:
http://novascotiarailwayheritage.com/