(rshsdepot) North Station - Boston, MA

From yesterday's Boston Globe.

Bernie Wagenblast
Transportation Communications Newsletter

Expansion to Double Size of North  Station By November

By Mac Daniel, The Boston Globe
Apr. 26--The MBTA plans to announce today a major expansion of cramped North
Station, a project expected to more than double the concourse's size and
bring a  South Station-like atmosphere to the northside rail hub.
The 20,000-square-foot, multimillion-dollar expansion is to be financed
entirely by the Delaware North Companies-Boston, owners and operators of the TD
Banknorth Garden, which sits atop the station. It is to be completed by
November, T officials said yesterday.
"It's a great deal for us," said Daniel A. Grabauskas, general manager of the
 Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. "We're delivering what the
customer  wants, as quickly as we can, and finally giving our northside passengers
the  same welcome to Boston that our southside passengers get."
North Station serves five commuter rail lines and Amtrak's Downeaster service
 to New Hampshire and Maine. On a typical weekday, 187 commuter rail trips
bring  nearly 50,000 passengers in and out of Boston.
T officials said the expansion, while not making the concourse as spacious as
 South Station's, should relieve longstanding gripes from passengers about
crowding at North Station, especially when commuters converge with those
attending events at the Garden. Grabauskas said a survey of passengers by the
Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad, the consortium that operates commuter rail
for the T, found that the station's size was the top complaint.
"It's too small. It's just too small," said passenger Marcel Cote, 41, of
Lowell. "And at times, it's dangerous. If there's a show here and there are
mothers with strollers, forget about it."
T officials said they began talking to officials at the Delaware North  Compa
nies-Boston about six months ago after it became clear that development on
the original Boston Garden site adjacent to Causeway Street was not going to
happen. The T had planned to use that site, now a parking lot, to expand North
Station.
An official from Delaware North Companies-Boston declined to give a precise
price tag for the planned expansion, saying that the figure depends on the
final  design, but said that it would not be more than $10 million.
With more passengers, North Station has less space and less history than in
the days it was home to the famous Iron Horse restaurant and pub.
Now during the winter, passengers said, the station's automatic doors leading
 to the tracks are constantly tripped open, letting cold air blow into the
station. There is also little seating, few vendors, and tiny black-and-white
monitors that list trains.
The planned changes would significantly enlarge the waiting area and add
tables, chairs, and benches in a climate-controlled space. Food vendors and
services would be added, and a large, overhead board would display schedule and
track information.
The expansion will extend the concourse atop the existing platforms and
tracks, which T officials say will still be long enough to accommodate trains.
The design will also include crowd-control measures to separate Garden
patrons from outgoing commuters, Grabauskas said. The station will maintain its
two entrances on the east and west sides. The expansion still does not include a
 direct connection to the tunnel leading to the Orange and Green subway and
trolley lines.
There will be some disruption during construction. North Station will remain
open during the project, with temporary pedestrian walkways built to guide
passengers around the work.
John Wentzell, president of Delaware North Companies-Boston, said yesterday
that improvements are needed at North Station to make it nicer for Garden fans
 and concert-goers and also to handle a growing number of nearby residents
with  the opening of land parcels atop the Big Dig.
"We are making a very concerted effort in looking at what we are doing after
10 years of operation," he said. "This is a way for us to improve, both for
commuters and patrons of the Garden. We very much are focusing on making the
experience better and this is certainly something we can do."
Delaware North Companies-Boston will maintain and clean the station, the T
will get a chance for new advertising revenue, and the two entities plan to
split revenue from new vendors.
"With the concessions and advertising, we'll make money," Grabauskas said.
Passengers waiting in North Station yesterday were excited about the plans,
with most saying they were long overdue.
"It's just a logistical nightmare," said Tom Connolly, 45, of Marblehead, an
English professor at Suffolk University. "South Station is a pleasure. It
seems  to me that this is a train station appended to a hockey arena."
He pointed to a nearby McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts, where he said customer
lines often block the hallway. Passengers said they have adapted to the
uncomfortable confines by arriving minutes before their train leaves to save  them
from standing and waiting because of the lack of seats.
Elaine Christensen, 52, of Reading, who goes through North Station to get to
her Back Bay publishing job, said the conditions were like herding cattle.
"There's just not enough room in this little station," she said.
"Any improvement will be great," said Maryann Daidone, 49, of Andover. "If
there was more room, people would be more happy."