(rshsdepot) oil on the rails

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry Rosenberg" <hwr5_@_comcast.net>
To: "fred fep" <luckyshow_@_mindspring.com>; "mark anthony" <rcobalt59@hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 7:16 PM
Subject: Fw: Train Talk, November 17, 2005 1:03 PM

:
: ----- Original Message -----
: From: "Meyer, Steffi (Cairo/PROGRAM)" <stmeyer_@_usaid.gov>
: To: <hwr5_@_columbia.edu>
: Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 7:07 AM
:
: >A different rail story...
: >
: > -----Original Message-----
: > From: Michael S. Kenyon [mailto:forestcityblues_@_comcast.net]
: > Sent: Thu 11/17/2005 11:07 PM
: > To: Riedler, Tim (RSC/RLA); Lee Rosner; Karns, Mark(EGAT/EG); Scott Reid
: > (home); Landau, Edward(BOLIVIA/DIR)
: > Cc: Meyer, Steffi (Cairo/PROGRAM); Fulgham, Alonzo (Kabul/DIR); Tuebner,
: > Paul (USAID/H/MD); Walter, Dean (USAID/H/OFM); Leroy Wallin
:
:
:  This, you have to read to believe.
:  Mike
:
: > Please respond to
: > info_@_traintalk.vre.org
: >
:
: > Manassas Line Service for Wednesday, November 16
: >
: > Our apologies for the extremely long commute last night.
: >
: > Below is an explanation of what occurred.
: >
: > The short answer is that two of our trains were delayed by oak leaf oil on
: > the rails. A combination of rail, weather and locomotive factors combined
: > to create the arduous commute from Washington for our Manassas Line
: > passengers.
: >
: > The long answer is that each year during autumn as the leaves fall, the
: > oak leaves on the Manassas Line will cover the rail with oil and cause a
: > loss of friction between the rail and the locomotives wheels.  This
: > condition is mitigated by sand, which is kept in the locomotives and
: > dropped on the rail to assist with traction.
: >
: > However, last evening, the rain and wind caused the leaves not only to
: > fall on the tracks but to stick to them. Trains #331 and #333 ground the
: > leaves and the oil into the rail as they traveled and, despite using sand,
: > the locomotives could not get traction to climb the grade into the Burke
: > station. Once at Burke the trains essentially travel down hill and were
: > able to move forward.
: >
: > #331 and #333 were affected more than others because they utilize
: > "passenger" locomotives that are not quite as heavy as the rebuilt freight
: > engines in the VRE fleet. Also, because passenger locomotives are built
: > for speed not hauling things, they do not sport low gear ratios, which
: > would have helped. Train  #335 and #337 also experienced delays because
: > they were caught behind the slow trains. Buses were not a factor, because
: > of the significant traffic on the roads and the fact that a bus would have
: > taken longer than the train to arrive.
: >
: > Although wheel slippage due to oak leaf oil is a small problem each fall,
: > this combination of factors is the worst that we have ever experienced. To
: > be sure it does not reoccur; we will move the passenger locomotives off
: > these trains and use our heaver "GP" freight locomotives.
: >
: > Free Ride Certificates were handed out on all affected trains.
: >
: >
: >
: >