(rshsdepot) Elyria, OH

11/04/2005
Work on transportation hub could start soon
MATT SUMAN , Morning Journal Writer

ELYRIA -- It may only be a matter of weeks before the first phase begins
to turn the old New York Central passenger railroad station on Broad
Street into a more than $7 million transportation hub, county officials
said yesterday.
The proposed transportation center site is between East Avenue and Cedar
Street next to the Norfolk Southern railroad. Officials said the center
could be home to Lorain County Transit buses, Greyhound buses, a rental
car area and possibly Amtrak trains.

Though the county still needs to put a funding plan in place for the
entire project, County Administrator Jim Cordes said he hopes
construction of the center will be complete in ''a couple years.''

The first phase of the project could begin in 45 days, according to
Karen Davis, special projects manager for the county. It will go out for
bid after the Ohio Department of Transportation approves the plans,
which Davis said she hopes to send out next week.

Cordes said he's talking with car rental companies to bring rental car
access to the transportation center. The county is also trying to get
Greyhound and Amtrak access to the center.

''We'll probably have Greyhound busing going out of there,'' Cordes said.

Amtrak may be more of a stretch because the company does not have money
to contribute to a $2.5 million possible final phase of the project,
according to Cordes.

Davis said the county has more than $5 million of funding lined up for
the center.

She said U.S. Rep. Sherrod Brown, D-Avon, secured a total of $3.6
million in federal funds over the past three years toward the project.
U.S. Sen. Mike DeWine, R-Ohio, obtained about $1 million for the center,
according to Davis.

The Northeast Ohio Area Coordinating Agency allocated $600,000 for the
project.

Cordes said the county is expecting to receive $2.6 million of the total
that Brown helped secure for the project between fiscal years 2006 and
2009. County officials are trying to come up with a strategy to make the
money available sooner.

''We have to come up with a financing strategy,'' he said. ''We could
advance or borrow the money.''

Cordes said he plans to get a letter of non-prejudice from the Federal
Transportation Authority that would help secure money that is expected
to come in a few years. The county would have to front the money and get
reimbursed with the grants.

''If that wasn't the case, the construction would probably take a few
more years,'' Cordes said. ''It's going to be a good year for that
project next year. I'm hoping next fall we'll see a huge amount of
progress out there.''

http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15514455&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46371&rfi=6