(rshsdepot) Topeka, KS

From today's Topeka Capital Journal.

Bernie Wagenblast

BNSF makes station upgrades

By Michael Hooper
Ron Dean thinks passenger train service is vital to America. That is why he
has worked behind the scenes to encourage Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp.
to  fix up the Amtrak station in downtown Topeka.
Dean retired a year ago from BNSF after 36 years of railroad work.
With the help of radio talk show host Jim Cates, the Greater Topeka Chamber
of Commerce and BNSF, Dean was able to generate interest in improving the
Amtrak  station at S.E. 5th and Holliday. Cates gave him a forum on KMAJ-AM 1440.
During  the show, they got help from Doug Kinsinger, president and chief
executive  officer of the chamber.
They forwarded their concerns to Charlotte Alderson, a BNSF employee in the
Kansas City area, who replied via e-mail saying, ``We are addressing those
issues, and you should see some improvements within the next couple of weeks.``
``When we got together and discussed it on the `Jim Cates Show,` that`s when
things started to develop,`` Dean said. ``Doug Kinsinger got involved and
found  the person we needed to go to.``
Steve Forsberg, spokesman for BNSF, said the roof had leaked and damaged some
 ceiling tiles. After repairing the roof, he said workers would repair the
damaged tiles and broken windows. Workers also are painting the interior of the
 train depot. Ideally, Forsberg said, the repairs will be complete by the end
of  the month.
Dean said that he was pleased the station has a new drinking fountain and
that new light bulbs were installed in the Amtrak sign outside.
``I think people got complacent,`` he said.
John Mills, a former Amtrak district manager, also wrote letters about the
issue, Dean said.
Amtrak ticket agent Richard Mercer works overnight on weekdays. The station
is open from midnight to 7:45 a.m. Monday through Friday. Trains come through
at  about 1 a.m. and 5 a.m.
Dean said two weeks ago he took a train from Topeka to Naperville, Ill., to
see the fall foliage. The trip to Chicago allows the passenger to see the
countryside through Missouri, Iowa and Illinois.
``The colors were real nice, but they weren`t any better than in Topeka.
Topeka is looking nice right now,`` he said.
He said another great trip is to St. Louis from Kansas City along the
Missouri River.
A nice trip to the west is to Flagstaff, Ariz., he said. A lot of people get
off and go to the Grand Canyon or Phoenix, he said. The train goes all the
way  to Los Angeles with connections to San Francisco or Seattle.
Dean said once station upgrades are complete, he would like to see a grand
opening ceremony with railroad and community leaders.
``We should protect the last mode of transportation out of Topeka, the
capital of Kansas, that connects with the rest of the United States,`` Dean  said.
``I would encourage all elected officials to do what they can to keep  Amtrak
alive in Kansas and across the rest of the  country."