From: "Michael Bosak" <michael_bosak_@_hotmail.com>
To: <rshsdepot_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 5:09 AM
Subject: (rshsdepot) Re: RSHSDepot Digest V1 #1082

> Nashville and Chattanooga
>
> You're getting Nashville and Chattanooga confused. Both have former L&N
> Stations that are now hotels, but they are as different as night and day.
> Nashville Union Station was designed by the architect Richard Monfort who
> worked for the Chief Engineer (who gets the credit, although he was the
> force behind the station).  Not all architects are members of AIA, which
> wasn't around when this was built anyway.
>
> As far as I know, the trainsheds at Nashville are now gone.
>
> Mike Bosak

We'll
> > have to build a foundation first; and before we can build the
foundation,
> we
> > have to know what the building is going to look like." The building will
> be
> > moved to a plot near City Hall, and the project joins the ranks of other
> > depot renovation projects including one in Myrtle Beach where organizers
> > restored the 1937 city depot.
> >
> > S.F. Horton, a charter member of the Loris Civitan Club, donated the
depot
> > after club members voted in April 2003 to build a city museum and
decided
> > the old depot building would be perfect to house it. At that time,
Horton
> > said he bought the building soon after purchasing his farm in 1952. He
> paid
> > $400 for the building and $400 for it to be moved to his farm off Red
> Bluff
> > Road.
> >
> > Some officials think the depot was built in the early 1900s, probably
> about
> > the time Loris incorporated in 1902 and was often called the Gate City,
> > which referred to its being the first town on the railroad south of
North
> > Carolina.
> >
> > "We are doing it to give a focal point for Loris and to give people a
> reason
> > to come and visit Loris," said Joyce Sammons, club president. "We are
also
> > doing it for our community, our children this our heritage." Officials
> hope
> > to move the depot later this year, but that will take much coordination
> > lower electricity, telephone and cable lines to bring the building into
> > town.
> >
> > "There's a lot more to moving a building than people would think,"
> McIntosh
> > said. "If you can't see bricks and mortar, you feel like things aren't
> > getting done. We're doing the nitty-gritty work right now." That work
> > includes a capital fund-raising campaign, which will begin soon,
officials
> > said.
> >
> > "What we really need is some money," he said.
> >
> > Club members will soon make presentations to area businesses and other
> civic
> > clubs about the project to generate interest and funding, Sammons said.
> >
> > "It's moving right along and looking better and better," she said.
"We've
> > gotten several of our major members of the community who have said yes
we
> > want to hear more about this."
> >
> > =================================
> > The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
> > railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >

> > From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> > Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:50:02 -0500
> > From: Dave Rutan <rutan3_@_nac.net>
> > Subject: (rshsdepot) D.L.& W. Monroe Station
> >
> > In case any one's interested, I've put up the drawings for the humble
> > Monroe station on the D.L.& W.  Most likely more of a freight shed,
> > passengers could board the train here.
> >
> > The stationed burned in 1929 along with the creamery which stood across
> > the tracks.
> >
> > See the drawings here:
> > http://dlw-sussexbranch.com/Modeling/Plans/Monroe/index.html
> >
> > Dave
> > - --
> > The First Railroad in Sussex County New Jersey
> > http://DLW-SussexBranch.com
> > Monomania can be a good thing
> >

> > =================================
> > The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
> > railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >

> > From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> > Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:03:01 -0500 (EST)
> > From: "J. Henry Priebe Jr." <root_@_net.bluemoon.net>
> > Subject: (rshsdepot) Dover, NJ
> >
> > Posted to the erielack list.
> >
> > Henry
> >
> > Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:13:54 -0800 (PST)
> > From: "Gary R. Kazin"
> > Subject: (erielack) Ken's Supper Club (Dover) update
> >
> > http://www.dailyrecord.com/news/articles/news8-indict.htm
> >
> > 02/10/05 - Posted from the Daily Record newsroom
> > Dover resident indicted in four eatery break-ins
> > Man, 24, stole wine, whiskey, food from train station restaurant, cops
say
> > By Peggy Wright, Daily Record
> >
> > A Dover man was indicted Wednesday on charges of breaking into Ken's
> > Trackside four times over seven months and stealing whiskey, wine and
food
> > from the South Bergen Street restaurant that has been closed since
> > November 2002.
> >
> > William J. Ludwig, 24, was charged in an indictment handed up by a
Morris
> [...]
> > all four occasions, he stole more than $200 worth of items that included
> > whiskey, wine, non-perishable food, and disc jockey equipment, according
> > to an arrest complaint.
> >
> > He allegedly damaged the building each time, sometimes by prying open
> > doors, or throwing large rocks through windows.
> >
> > Morris County Assistant Prosecutor Erin Smith-Wisloff said that although
> > the eatery within the train station in Dover has been closed for
business
> > since 2002, inventory was still kept inside that Ludwig helped himself
to.
> > He originally had told police he conspired to burglarize the restaurant
> > with a person named "Matt," but such a person never was identified,
> > Smith-Wisloff said.
> >
> > Restaurateur Ken Comer had been running the club since 1994 under the
name
> > Ken's Trackside, and sub-leased the space from the town of Dover, which
> > had its own lease for the NJ Transit station.
> >
> > Comer and the town got into a legal dispute when he started withholding
> > his $2,045-per-month rent, saying he was forced to shut down in November
> > 2002 because the town was not maintaining the building.
> >
> > A Superior Court judge in October 2003 ordered the town to replace the
> > rain-damaged roof of the train station and fix rotting and bulging
walls.

> > Dover Administrator Paul McDougall said that despite the ruling, the
issue
> > has not been resolved with Comer, who could not be reached Wednesday and
> > has never re-opened the club.
> >
> > McDougall said that Comer is interested in selling the restaurant, and
the
> > town, to encourage the sale, contributed money toward paying off a lien
he
> > owed so he would not lose his liquor license for the restaurant.
> >
> > Peggy Wright can be reached at pwright_@_gannett.com or (973) 267-1142.
> >
> > =====
> > Gary R. Kazin
> > DL&W Milepost R35.7
> > Rockaway, New Jersey
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/gkazin/index.html

> > Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search. Learn more.
> > http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
> >
> > =================================
> > The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
> > railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >

> > From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> > Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:36:47 -0500
> > From: jdent1_@_optonline.net
> > Subject: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
> >
> > From another list...
> >
> >  Hi RR Hotel Aficionados:
> >
> > A few years back I taught a class in Nashville, TN. This state  capital
> may
> > have the "Grand Ole Opry" but it was no Amtrak station.  However
> > the former L&N  station, a grand old stone building, is now a hotel.
You
> sign in at what I  assume used to be the ticket counter and the last train
> schedule  board is still in place.  But the surprising thing is that the
> architect for this
> > grand old building was not a member of the AIA but the Chief Engineer of
> the
> > L&N!  And below the State Capitol is a WWII memorial mall across one end
> of  which was built one of the most esthetic railroad bridges that I've
ever
> seen.  It is double  tracked and is used by CSX.  The mall also features a
> huge granite  model of the Earth.  It floats on a film of water and can be
> moved by hand.  Note also the map of Tennessee with all of the rivers and
> some of the railroads shown.
> > So there are two points of interest to see in Nashville besides the
Grand
> Ole  Opry!  But do not expect to go there by train!
> >
> >  Vern Waight
> >

> > =================================
> > The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
> > railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >

> > From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> > Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:02:46 EST
> > From: Ireenactcw_@_aol.com
> > Subject: Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
> >

> > What would the name or the location of this "train hotel" be? I  go down
> > Nashville every year and would like to check it out next time.  Thanks.
> >
> > David Kibitlewski
> > 116 Glenwood Dr.
> > Round Lake Beach,  IL  60073-2926
> >

> > =================================
> > The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
> > railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >

> > From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> > Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:09:10 -0600
> > From: "Ken Currie" <currieken_@_comcast.net>
> > Subject: Re: Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
> >
> > It's the Chattanooga Choo Choo Holiday in Chattanooga, located in the
old
> > railroad terminal.  Their website is
> > http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/chaoo

SGVsbG8gZnJvbSBOYXNodmlsbGUhIFlvdSBhcmUgcmVmZXJyaW5nIHRvIFVuaW9uIFN0YXRpb24g

SG90ZWwuIEl0IGlzIGJlYXV0aWZ1bCEhISENCg0KCS0tLS0tT3JpZ2luYWwgTWVzc2FnZS0tLS0t

IA0KCUZyb206IHJzaHNkZXBvdC1vd25lckBsaXN0cy5yYWlsZmFuLm5ldCBvbiBiZWhhbGYgb2Yg

SXJlZW5hY3Rjd0Bhb2wuY29tIA0KCVNlbnQ6IFRodSAyLzEwLzIwMDUgNjowMiBQTSANCglUbzog

cnNoc2RlcG90QGxpc3RzLnJhaWxmYW4ubmV0IA0KCUNjOiANCglTdWJqZWN0OiBSZTogKHJzaHNk

ZXBvdCkgUlIgaG90ZWwgTmFzaHZpbGxlLCBUTg0KCQ0KCQ0KDQoJICAgIA0KCQ0KCVdoYXQgd291

bGQgdGhlIG5hbWUgb3IgdGhlIGxvY2F0aW9uIG9mIHRoaXMgInRyYWluIGhvdGVsIiBiZT8gSSAg

Z28gZG93biB0bw0KCU5hc2h2aWxsZSBldmVyeSB5ZWFyIGFuZCB3b3VsZCBsaWtlIHRvIGNoZWNr

IGl0IG91dCBuZXh0IHRpbWUuICBUaGFua3MuDQoJDQoJRGF2aWQgS2liaXRsZXdza2kNCgkxMTYg

R2xlbndvb2QgRHIuDQoJUm91bmQgTGFrZSBCZWFjaCwgIElMICA2MDA3My0yOTI2DQoJDQoJDQoJ

DQoJPT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09DQoJVGhlIFJhaWxyb2FkIFN0YXRp

b24gSGlzdG9yaWNhbCBTb2NpZXR5IG1haW50YWlucyBhIGRhdGFiYXNlIG9mIGV4aXN0aW5nDQoJ