(rshsdepot) Hornell, NY

From the Hornell Evening Tribune

City officials say not to worry - depot will be used

By ROB MONTANA
Staff Writer

HORNELL - Rumors that Alstom is not going to be moving into the old Erie Depot aren't true, say city officials.

The move, which was expected several months ago, has been delayed by additional work needed inside the building. But that work including, telecommunications upgrades, was being done by Alstom.

"They're still on track to move in there, but they've been delayed so much waiting for additional fiber optics and wiring for the offices," said Jim Griffin, executive director of the IDA. "They just got the window treatments done and they have people in there working now. I assume they're going to get in there in the next couple weeks."

"There are some employees over there doing the telecommunications upgrade right now," added Mayor Shawn Hogan. "Other than that, I don't know what the status is. I know their facilities manager has been very ill and has been out about 3-4 weeks. I think that's one of the reasons for the delay."

Griffin and Hogan have heard the scuttlebutt that the depot would be empty and both say that's not true.

"Is the depot going to be utilized? Yes," said Hogan. "It will be the home for Alstom employees working on the New York City contract. The team that's going to run that contract, as well as some of the vice presidents, will have their offices in the depot.

"We have signed off on the lease for the depot, so it's in Alstom's hands," he added. "People should not be worried, the depot will be utilized."

Alstom officials declined comment on the project, but noted the depot plan would be presented to the company's Management Committee on Monday.

The city has also begun collecting railroad memorabilia to place in the railroad museum, which they are hoping to open in January.

Copyright all rights reserved: Hornell Evening Tribune
http://www.eveningtribune.com