Re: (rshsdepot) The "Great GM Bus Conspiracy"--balderdash......

ah, let's see: let me babble for a moment

Steam power, an external combustion engine is the most efficient engine,
there is ash, by the time of dieselization the D&H, the mountain roads to
the northwest Pacific Coast, were maybe the height of mechanical engineering
in the 20th century....anyway it wasn't a conspiracy, such as the N&W kept
steam for far longer than others, until the scales of economy finally were
tipped to where bucking the trend is just impossible...

anyway it is hardly an urban legend what happened to the Keyes System, to
the big red cars in LA, to many transit systems around the country,
especially in New York (though maybe not in Brooklyn where Laguardia and
Moses may have been more important to the change to B-U-S)...the rubber
(tire) companies, and GM for two, but there were others....this is hardly a
myth...virtually all streetcar companies that "motorized" `went under...

I don't need to cite the books, or the lawsuits, it was just as pernicious
as what railroads did sometimes in 1950's to drop passenger service...you
can call it a conspiracy, but that isn't necessary, GM and the others
controlled companies that bought the streetcar  companies, the suburban
traction systems and would systematically abandon them, motorize them, scrap
them...there was also typical industry PR which was heavy and affected
communities which in road building would make traction pay to remove and
then replace the rails, wires, reroute....whatever..

So, anyway I disagree with everybody pooh-poohing steam power, it is mighty,
if modernized an internal combustion engine would be far more efficient in
energy use, control the ash, superheat and all that, and well, Diesel
smells..

and that GM and Goodyear and others did kill traction in the US, helped to
kill, and in many instances directly did...

Some of these cases went to the Supreme Court, it is hardly urban myth

Paul