RE: (rshsdepot) Mexico's stations (estaciones)

I've travelled some in Mexico and have been a member of the email
list "Mexlist" (Mexican railroads) since early in its life. I have
some photos of Mexican depots that I can some day scan and share with
the rshs list (maybe I'll wait to see what else Mr. Ruelos posts).

As with most structures in Mexico, virtually none is frame. Mostly
masonary or brick.  Many of these date to the late 19th century when
the major rail lines were built, mostly with US, British, or Belgian
capital, and they didn't seem to skimp on the depots. There are
standard design elements that you notice along certain RR lines.
Since many of the stations were active through the end of
nationalization in the 1990s, and because of the construction, there
are lots still standing, often in pretty good shape, although the
rail network wasn't nearly as dense as in the US. Maybe more like in
the western US. There are some very fine buildings, as Mr. Ruelos's
photos attest.

The Guanajuato "station" in his photos is for a brand new funicular
rr up to a famous patriotic monument overlooking town. The real
station (the end of a branch of the Mexican Central from Silao, the
rr built by Santa Fe interests from El Paso to Mexico City) is a nice
late 19th century stone structure.  The branch is at least inactive,
maybe dismantled.

See my rarely updated vanity web site at http://www.duke.edu/~markt
for a pic of me standing in front of the old Mexican National depot
at San Miguel de Allende.  "Station Master's Office"

- --Mark Thomas, markt_@_duke.edu