Re: (rshsdepot) Hamlet, NC depot moves today

- --On Friday, April 04, 2003 10:00 AM -0500 "jdent1_@_optonline.net"
<jdent1_@_optonline.net> wrote:

> According to a poster on the Trainorder.com RR discussion board the
> Hamlet, NC depot is to be moved today 210 feet across the tracks
> for restoration.

Yes, it was right on schedule. See the web page from the NCDOT Rail
Division:  http://www.bytrain.org/hamlet/

I got off work and drove down there (about 2-1/2 hours from me). I
got there a little after the planned start time of 8:30 and it had
started to inch across the track.  There were a long pauses,
interspersed with short and slow movements.  It took maybe 2 to 2-1/2
hours to clear the track, by 10:00 or 10:30 or certainly by 11:00.

I don't know how long it will be before they remove the wheels/jacks
under the station and lower it to it's new foundation.  The
contractor on the building move is Edwards Moving and Rigging out of
Kentucky. Their website: http://www.edwardsmoving.com/  Under "Photo
Album" then "structural relocation," they have a shot of moving the
Big Four depot in Lafayette, IN.  Also, under "Awards," the 1991 pic
looks to me like a train station, but I don't know.

I don't think they got as many onlookers as expected, although there
were a few hundred if you count all the schoolkids who got to watch
it as a field trip.  Although they had put up chain link fences
around the site, they were remarkably lax about letting people wander
around as long as they didn't get in the way. Also, the fences along
the best view, from the SE, were low or nonexistant, so you saw all
the railfans with cameras and lawnchairs over on that side and
crossing the track and all (the track, was, of course, closed at this
point. The dozens of contractors, CSX employees, and NCDOT people
didn't hassle anyone, so I guess we stayed politely out of the way.

The town had set up bleachers on the SW side, south of Main St, but
there was no sun on the side of the station visible from that
direction during the move, and you couldn't even see the famous
corner with the turret (since the station had previously been rotated
90 degrees).  See the diagram at
http://www.bytrain.org/hamlet/diagram.html  The lines actually form
more of an "X" at this point (NW to SE, Charlotte to Wilmington, and
NE to SW, Raleigh to Columbia).  (i.e., rotate the diagram another 25
deegrees clockwise). Also, there was a taller fence from the SW side.

During the move, CSX used the window of opportunity of the diamond
being shut down to do some maintenance.  They removed the diamond,
dug out all the soggy junk under it, did some maintenance work in the
hole to improve drainage (I think added a drain pipe), and refilled
the hole with clean ballast. In the meantime, they worked on the
diamond itself to tighten it up (I guess it was shaking apart),
before replacing it.

Now, if CSX could only do such maintenance on all their track! :-)

They still had E-W (Atlanta/Charlotte to Wilmington,NC) trains during
the morning, but any that would have gone through the diamond were
routed up to the yard to the NE, then the engines run back around to
the other end to continue on their way.  A lot of the trains always
go up into the yard, anyway, and there isn't as much traffic on the
Raleigh-Columbia line (although the Silver Star goes that way, both
directions at night if it's on time).

They left an old brick building (supposedly an old express office)
north of the diamond, next to the station's old location, which will
continue to be used by CSX for storage or offices.

I don't have a digital camera, but if no one else posts any photos
before I get my slides back, I can scan a few in and post them to the
group.

- --Mark Thomas