(rshsdepot) Fairfield (Black Rock), CT

Fairfield signs deal for train station
Black Rock rail stop to anchor office park

By BILL CUMMINGS bcummings_@_ctpost.com
Connecticut Post

FAIRFIELD
Town officials on Monday formally signed a deal to build the town's third
train station, part of a sprawling project off lower Black Rock Turnpike
that potentially could encompass nearly one million square feet of office
and commercial space.

First Selectman Kenneth Flatto and officials from Blackrock Realty jointly
signed the long-anticipated agreement, which spells out responsibilities for
the project partners. A series of zoning, town and state approvals is still
needed.

The biggest commercial project in town history, the complex is projected to
be valued at about $250 million if built as envisioned. The development, at
that scale, could generate more than $6 million in annual tax revenues,
officials have estimated.

"It's time to turn this plan into action," said Flatto of the plan, first
unveiled in January 2001.

"We strongly believe the advantages of this agreement far outweigh any
risks," he said.

Under the deal, Fairfield will provide $6 million to be reimbursed over time
through fees imposed on 1,500 new parking spaces. The town will also provide
$4 million in federal grants. Previously, the town had been asked to put up
$8 million.

The town will acquire 9 acres for surface parking, and the town and
developer will build a rail depot and make other infrastructure
improvements. Previous proposals called for the town to acquire 13 acres.

The state Department of Transportation will build a bridge over the railroad
tracks, and contribute $25 million, up from earlier proposals that called
for a $16 million commitment.

Blackrock Realty will contribute $5 million from a state loan for public
improvements and environmental cleanup of the site, including a new
greenbelt. The company will build a road to the site.

The private office park component of the project, which is to include a
hotel, could reach $250 million. All commercial development is the
responsibility of the developer, including construction of an access road.
At least one office building and the hotel must be built during the first
phase, according to the agreement.

Officials said the first phase could be complete within four years. They
estimate it will take nine months to secure remaining approvals.

Flatto stressed the project will not cost taxpayers any money, despite the
fact that the town plans to sell bonds to finance its share.

"Our taxpayers will bear no financial burden. Our budget will receive
significant new tax revenue and parking fees to pay off the town bonded
debt, plus generate enough new revenue to pay off much of the cost of our
new McKinley and Burr schools," Flatto said.

Kurt Wittek, Blackrock Realty's managing director, said a year ago he didn't
think a deal could be struck.

"I was in doubt that this would happen," he said.

"There was lots of back and forth that was very much worth it. To those who
are supportive of the project, I encourage you not to be silent," Wittek
said.

Harry Harris, a deputy DOT commissioner, also said it had "been a long road"
to get to a final agreement on the deal.

"If there is a win-win, I think we have it here. We can deal with the
waiting list [for parking spaces at Fairfield's other rail stations] here
and attract people off the highways and onto trains," Harris said.

Meanwhile, several town officials who spoke at a morning press conference
urged supporters to make their views known. The Board of Selectman,
Representative Town Meeting and several land-use boards must now sign off on
the project.

"I agree with everything said here," said Judy Boos, a District 10 RTM
member.

"Commercial and residential can live together," she said, referring to
nearby residential neighborhoods.

"This is a project we really believe in," added U.S. Rep. Christopher Shays,
R-4.

"We know we need to get more people on rail and off the roads. It's a
no-brainer and the smartest thing we can do," Shays said.

Bill Cummings, who covers regional issues, can be reached at 330-6230.