(rshsdepot) Sussex, WI

From the Sussex Sun=2E=2E=2E

Members of the Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society had something extra t=
be thankful for on Thanksgiving=2E The day before the holiday they closed =
transaction to acquire the 89-year-old former Chicago and Northwestern
Railway depot, which they plan to convert into a museum=2E

Village of Sussex - "It will probably take at least a year to get it (a
museum) up and running," said Henry "Hank" Carlson, society president=2E "=
We
intend to fix it up=2E"
Carlson announced the impending sale on Tuesday night at the village of
Sussex Board Meeting=2E He thanked several village officials, including
village attorney John Macy for their assistance with the purchase=2E=20
"Without their help," he said, "it probably wouldn't have happened=2E"
The purchase of the property from Sandy Mack was made possible by a
$100,000 donation from the James A=2E Taylor family of Mequon=2E=20
Taylor, 83, along with Sussex historian Fred Keller has many artifacts to
donate to the museum=2E
Taylor, who founded the former Taylor Electric Co=2E, Mequon, in an
interview, said he wished to downplay his involvement in the purchase=2E
"Personally, I do not care for recognition," he said=2E "I did it because =
it
is right and good to help the Historical Society=2E"
He said he has long known Betty Mindemann, who maintains Mindy's Antiques
in a historic house across Main Street from the depot=2E
Betty is vice president of the Historical Society=2E She said the frame de=
pot
was purchased for $74,000=2E
Mack had earlier purchased the depot as well as a former church and
parsonage at N63 W23811 Main St=2E Mack operates Sussex County Printing In=
c=2E
out of a portion of the former Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church=2E
Members of the Historical Society had sought for some time to consummate
the sale=2E
Carlson said legal problems had delayed the purchase=2E "We had to get an
easement, which had to be approved by the village," he said=2E
The purchase could not be completed until the Historic Society gained
not-for-profit status=2E
"The village assisted in many ways," he explained=2E It guaranteed $50,000=
 of
a $190,000 loan received to enable Mack to purchase the property=2E
Mack purchased the property in 2000 for $430,000=2E
The gray landmark in the classic depot style of nearly a century ago is
off-the-beaten path behind the church and parsonage=2E
The building provides 1,510 square feet of space on the main floor=2E A
basement will be used for storage=2E
The former depot has been vacant for several years=2E It was moved to its
current site in 1978=2E It had been located adjacent to the Bug Line track=
on Maple Avenue=2E It served as a telegraph office, freight-handling
facility, ticket office and waiting room for passengers=2E
Carlson said mostly volunteer labor will be used to update the depot=2E
"We've got to do some electrical work," he said=2E "There are now 5
electrical services in the building=2E"
He added that an alarm system and air-conditioning will be added to
preserve memorabilia on display=2E
Taylor has several collections he hopes to have on display at the museum o=
a rotating basis=2E
He hopes to display his items "to encourage people to come back and visit
the museum again=2E"
His collection includes coverlets, colorful woven quilt-like items used to=

cover beds or to provide warmth for a sitting person, cut glass, Buddy L
toys that Taylor said he "played with 60 years ago," and detailed models o=
ships constructed out of wood "by a man from Cape Cod=2E"
Taylor, who said he came from "a family of modest means," said he is eager=

to have the items that reflect life from yesteryear to show to others=2E
"I do it because they are things I like and are of interest to me," he
remarked=2E
The Buddy L trucks, he explained, are of rugged steel and measure 18 to 24=

inches long=2E The sailing ships, he added, were given to him by his first=

wife, who died 15 years ago=2E=20
They include a Yankee clipper, a whaling ship and a schooner that measure
2- or 3-feet in length and are, he said, "Very precisely done=2E"=20
Taylor, who later remarried and lost his second wife, said his family is
"very supportive" of his desires to have his collections on display at the=

museum=2E
"I want to do what is good for the community," he pointed out stressing
that despite his age he "remains active in business=2E"=20
Keller, who expects to be the volunteer curator of the museum, began
collecting historic memorabilia in 1946=2E=20
His collection includes more than 300 books and about 20,000 photos, which=

are stored at his residence=2E
The museum will recall the village's rich railroad history=2E Sussex was o=
nce
served by three railroads=2E The Wisconsin Central served the village
beginning in 1886=2E The Bugline (Milwaukee, Menomonee Falls and Western
Railroad) served Sussex in 1890 before the Northwestern took over in 1910=2E=

The Bugline Recreation Trail follows the right-of-way of the railroad
extending 12=2E2 miles west to the town of Merton=2E
The depot was erected in 1914=2E

http://mail2web=2Ecom/ =2E