Re: (rshsdepot) NY Stations That Never Were

One of the oddities I saw in the railroad ads or notices in the 1893 Eagle
was the NYC line about GCT being their only station in New York City.
Leaving out that they even mention 138th Street and obviously had other
stations in the Bronx (I think some of southern Bronx was already part of
New York City by then), there was and still is 125th Street, and at that
time the west side passenger station on the Hudson line was still used as a
commuter station....

I will also say that I justify my research delving because I think over the
last few years I have found some interesting stuff, some of which I
personally never heard about before, or seen the maps, such as the landfill
to Governors Island and the big rail terminal at the Battery.  I am not so
sure many have scoured all 15 or more newspapers from the city and Brooklyn
and Queens; even if they have they may have missed something, who
knows...anyway I actually enjoy dusty stacks and moldy microfilm...

I also want to find pictures of the Union Depot at the El railhead in South
Brooklyn, I am sure there are lathes somewhere..I also have been searching
for the Lutheran Cemetery station on Metropolitan Avenue on that dummy line
that ran there (and still does sort of as the M train of the subway..

Now I also know to look in 1899 for the elusive agreement between BRT and
LIRR....and, no I still really haven't thought up a reason that BRT had any
reason behind such a pact....but it is possible that LIRR rapid transit
might have expanded, though I presume they didn't just charge a nickel on
the rapid transit trains, did they?..I also admit that while in 1893 there
may be more reasons one could proffer for such territorial agreements, by
1899 most of these would not be reasons any more..

I will say that since they did add improvements such as stations on the
Manhattan Beach line up to before World war One, that just because the
others charged a nickel was not as cut and dried a reason, maybe....Maybe it
was a class thing...maybe less stops made it faster, maybe the amenities
were a lure. People today take car services where taxis exist...

These are just guesses I am throwing out...and it may mean nothing what
followed in later years, the 1899 agreement, if there was such an agreement,
only pertains to the reasonings of that moment...in later years when PRR
owned the LIRR and when maybe management changes at BRT, or more likely the
subways that the BRT got into...those would be reasons that the agreement
wasn't abrogated....maybe it never happened that way, after all the book
says the LIRR bought the PP&CI in 1892, but it seems to have happened in
January 1893...

In 1928 Eagle last week I saw this elaborate plan to have an elevated
airport in Brooklyn on the water, on Barren Island at Jamaica Bay. This
seemed to be mostly for dirigibles I think, with rail and water connections
below (Dec. 9 B2:2)

Paul

Paul