- -----------------
From: David Goessling dmg_@_library=2Eho=2Elucent=2Ecom
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:54:08 -0400

I took a ride over to the Palmer Gallery at the NJ Center for the Visual
Arts in
Summit at lunch, to have a look at this show=2E Unfortunately, today was t=
he
last
day to see it!

The two artists whose work is on display are Valeri Larko and Tim Daly=2E =
Both
artists are from NJ, and their styles are pretty different, but they both
have
histories of painting decaying and wasted industrial landscapes in New
Jersey=2E
Past subjects include abandoned power plants, empty storage tanks, old
factory
buildings, etc=2E =20

The paintings will be displayed in the Secaucus Transfer Station, whenever=

it
opens=2E  Larko's are large, mural-like, long (20 feet+)=2E Her style is
realistic,
but a bit childlike=2E They all have a train in them though! There's one o=
an EL
passenger train on the Delaware Water Gap bridge, one of an NJT commuter
run on
the Brielle bridge, one on the bridge that crosses the Delaware River into=

West
Trenton, and a beautiful PRR GG1 in Newark=2E=20

Here's a link to a site that gives you an idea of her style:

http://www=2Etfaoi=2Ecom/am/4am/4am92=2Ejpg

and this page has a tiny reproduction of one of the Water Gap painting in
the
show:

http://www=2Egoleader=2Ecom/02may16/

There's little explanation at the exhibit of exactly where they will be in=

the
station, but an NY Times article says that the art is to be installed at a=

height of 11 feet=2E

Tim Daly has a long fascination with the Meadowlands and particularly the =
EL
lift bridges, signal bridges and catenary around West End=2E He will have =
32
paintings in the new station=2E Seven are in the current exhibition=2E In =
the
paintings on view at least, no trains are evident=2E He has concentrated o=
signs
and accouterments=2E

He often paints these subjects around sunset (with that characteristic
Jersey
contrail tracery in the sky) or at night=2E He used to do a lot of paintin=
gs
from
the cemetery off Tonnelle Circle=2E There's an amazing early example at
Maxwell's
in Hoboken, if you ever get in there=2E=2E=2E I vaguely knew Tim when I mo=
ved to
Hoboken in the early '80s and kick myself that I was too broke to buy any
of his
stuff then=2E It's really beautiful=2E

Here are some online samples, unfortunately only a couple RR related:

http://www=2Ejerseyarts=2Ecom/showcase/gallery/exhibits/1999_03/daly/galle=
ry_dal
y=2Ehtml

and=20

http://www=2Esherryfrenchgallery=2Ecom/daly=2Ehtml

The paintings in the show are mostly on the Boonton branch (Paul=2E=2E=2E)=
=2E There
are
prints of some of the paintings as well=2E Most of the paintings are big, =
the
largest is of the barren station platform at Stirling, probably 15 feet
long=2E
Here's a list:

+painting =3Dprint

"Stirling" + (a very large painting of dark trees from the platform at dus=
k)
"Catenary, Jersey City" + (very stark side view)
"Signal Tower 267" =3D + (looking up at the signal mast and lights,
beautiful!)
"Mountain Lakes" + =3D (the steps going down to the street)
"Two Bridges, Boonton" + =3D (the RR and 287, from above and to the side=2E=
=2E=2E)
"Stationmaster" + (Denville Junction, I think, with the parking lot and
tower=2E
There's actually a train in this one=2E=2E=2E)
"Checkered Bridge, Bergen County" + (don't know where, but one of the
characteristic Erie underpasses=2E=2E=2E)
"Broad Street Station Tower, Newark" + =3D (looking up at the clock tower
from the
platform - awesome, a big painting!)
"Kearny Turnpike" +=20

One of the other paintings to go in the station that's not in the show is
of the
clock at Hoboken Terminal=2E Here's an article with a (small) repro of tha=
t:

http://www=2Ezwire=2Ecom/site/news=2Ecfm?newsid=3D5075129&BRD=3D1292&PAG=3D=
461&dept_id=3D1
52072&rfi=3D6

Unfortunately there were no repro postcards! Major bummer! I would have
scanned
one to post=2E=2E=2E The prints, much smaller than the paintings, would be=
 great
have=2E They were in editions of 300, I think, and no prices listed, but I=
 bet
they'd be in the upper $100's=2E=20

Tim's studio is in the Neumann Leather builidng on Observer Highway in
Hoboken,
and he'll be open on the October Hoboken Artists Studio Tour=2E Maybe he'l=
have
postcards there=2E=2E=2E

Sorry to be so long-winded=2E=2E=2Eand sorry more people couldn't have see=
n this
great
show!

dmg