(rshsdepot) Hagerstown, MD

-From the Hagerstown Herald-Mail...

Railroad museum fails to get grant

SHARPSBURG - The Hagerstown Model Railroad Museum Inc. did not get the
$50,000 grant it applied for from the Maryland Historical Trust, Town
Councilwoman Denise Troxell said at Monday night's council meeting.

"Nobody's given up the ship," Troxell said.

In January the Town Council had voted to match $7,500, if the organization
got the grant. Other matching grants also were lined up, Troxell said.

Museum officials wanted to use the money to renovate the interior of the old
Antietam Station west of Sharpsburg. The town owns the station.

The project was rated well, but there were many applicants and several that
were graded higher, said Troxell, who had spoken with the grant official at
the trust.

"She said don't give up," Troxell said. The woman offered to help tweak the
group's next grant application.
"We'll keep working. I'm not giving up, but it was disappointing," Troxell
said.