(rshsdepot) High Point, NC

-From the High Point (NC) Enterprise...

Contractors tour downtown depot

Local contractors interested in restoring High Point's railroad depot took a
tour to get a firsthand look at work needed to renovate the historic
structure Tuesday.

The city has been working to restore the depot since 1993 and more than
$600,000 has been spent on asbestos removal, lead paint abatement, roof
repairs and other improvements. Officials plan to begin taking bids from
outside contractors for completion of the remaining restoration Aug. 23.

Assistant City Manager Jerry Yarborough said he has been working closely
with contractors and city transportation officials. Tuesday's meeting was a
chance to answer questions and give potential builders a better
understanding of the restoration project's scope, he said.

"We are fast approaching the bid day and we are trying to answer questions
and give the contractors more information," he said. "I would have hoped the
turnout (Tuesday) would have been better, but we still had a good size
group."

The city has advertised the project in local newspapers, and Yarborough said
the group that toured the depot Tuesday was comprised of contractors from
across the state.

The depot restoration carries a price tag of $5.9 million that has increased
-From the initial estimate of $3.3 in 1996. The additional costs will cover
improvements to the retaining wall in front of the station facing the
railroad tracks.

The federal government will pay 80 percent of the restoration with funds
made available through the Federal Transportation Enhancement Program. The
state has agreed to pay 10 percent of the cost of the project and High Point
is responsible for raising the remaining 10 percent or $592,300.

Jim Morgan, chairman of the High Point Historic Preservation Society said in
March that his group had raised about $200,000 of the $300,000 commitment
for restoration costs.

He said Tuesday his group would step up its fund-raising efforts when
construction begins at the depot. The group will try to raise more than
$300,000 to help with local costs.

"Once we can say this is a done deal then I think people will be more likely
to get involved," he said. "I think there are a lot of folks in High Point
who are interested in preservation, so we should be able to raise the
money."

When the project is completed, the station will be restored to its original
1905 appearance, but with several updates.

Plans call for a new concourse to be constructed between the railroad tracks
and a passenger elevator to be added with room for baggage. The depot's roof
will be replaced as well as the canopy that runs over the railroad tracks.

Yarborough said the project will begin with a groundbreaking ceremony on
Oct. 4, but work crews will wait until after the fall International Home
Furnishings Market to start construction. Work on the 18-month project
should begin by Oct. 29.

"The depot will hopefully be restored to its original design, complete with
the original color scheme," Yarborough said.