Re: (rshsdepot) West Shore line to the Meadowlands . . .

In a message dated 06/22/2001 10:23:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jdent_@_erols.com writes:

<<  I don't know why it was referred to as the West Shore line.  The closest
line to the current Meadowlands complex is NJ Transit's Bergen County line.
The Bergen County line passes just west of the complex. >>

    Current NJ Transit plans for the West Shore Line call for a new line to
be constructed heading southwest from the West Shore into the Meadowlands,
then proceeding east to a connection with the Bergen County Line.
Originally, West Shore trains went through the Weehawken Tunnel to the ferry,
but NJ Transit plans to use that tunnel for light-rail trains.  Actually, NJ
Transit made a very bad planning mistake in this regard.  The old NYS&W
Edgewater Tunnel should have been used for the light rail, with the Weehawken
Tunnel being used for West Shore commuter service.  I think that NJ Transit
realizes that it made a mistake, but since all their plans are geared towards
using the Weehawken Tunnel for light rail, they feel that it is too late to
change course now.

    I share the concern of others from Bergen County that this whole scheme
is a pipe dream, very unlike to actually materialize.  It seems to have been
brought up at this time to appease people from Bergen County who will have
their sports teams move to the new arena being proposed to be constructed in
Newark.

            Daniel Chazin
            Teaneck, NJ