Re: (rshsdepot) East New York . . .

rshsdepot
Yes, Chambers was just the next station opened by the BRT after Delancey
(inland)..I may have a book with the dates when it tunneled and connected to
Brooklyn..

Also interesting is that between Essex (Delancey) and Chambers are two other
stops on the subway which were on the BRT, Bowery and Canal Street...it
would be interesting to know if the BRT trains that also used the route and
flying junction to Rockaways, stopped at these two stops or were those
trains also some sort of express? And if LIRR still used Delancey at all
after they used Chambers....

I am not quite sure, but I don't think LIRR cars ever went over Brooklyn
Bridge as the El cars did...or just used Sands Street Station as the
terminal or transfer to bridge cars (even the cable cars through
1907)....anyway everything over the bridge-NY&BB, el trains, trolleys, all
terminated on the elevated Park Row Station across from the World Building,
across from City Hall, attached  by passageway to the El branch terminus
there, but not connected by rail..

I was reading in the old Times  how it had proved impossible to have a
underground streetcar terminus on the namesake side of the Manhattan Bridge,
but still haven't discovered what they did (The Manhattan El and a Manhattan
Railway (streetcar) power plant were in the way...nothing off the Brooklyn
Bridge ever went underground. I think the mighty Els (Cyrus Fields?) in NYC
prevented this competition..

Paul

Paul