Re: (rshsdepot) NY and Northern . . .

rshsdepot
Ah, yes-there it is -East New York-maybe they may not have encouraged use of
this train for changing at East New York, maybe there weren't connections
like at Ozone park or Jamaica-but east New York would be the place to
change-ALTHOUGH the turn to Rockaway seems to be east of East New York and
wasn't this Chambers Street (Delancey Street for first 3 or 4 years-1909 to
1912) train coming off the flying junction east of the turn south to
Rockaway-at Woodhaven???   Check the timetable times-maybe East NY was a
different train that actually did turn as well from its direction onto the
Rockaway Beach branch and they did meet at Ozone Park?? Because why else
would it go to East NY and then come back to go to Rockaway Beach? (Like
Amtrak used to do with Denver before they took over the D&RG)

The train to Manhattan Beach stopped at  E. NY. If you took the NY,
Woodhaven and Rockaway Beach out of Flatbush Avenue you stopped at East NY.
E NY was the "interchange" point with the Canarsie RR, although I don't
think they interchanged freight with the Atlantic Division...with the
Manhattan Beach/Bay Ridge division/branch they did somewhere near New Lots.

If anyone saw the "Canarsie Trolley" photo at E bay, if that was the
streetcar to the beach-it was this line that is said to have doomed the
Canarsie RR...though I think Canarsie wasn't as exciting as Coney or
Rockaway-besides the Brooklyn and Canarsie began as a way to Hammels in the
Rockaways (via a steam boat-when did that stop?). So when more direct ways
to Rockaways came along this also lessened the Canarsie RR.
Also it never reached the East River-it leased its franchise from Evergreen
to Greenpoint to the NY&MB in exchange for rights that were reneged after
the NY&MB bought the LIRR and eventually ended passenger and freight to
Greenpoint. They sued and won but by 1906 the Pennsy had the better lawyers
and they lost on appeal. The BRT did better with the route anyway, I guess.
(I guess this was the only one of these lines to be a normal steam line
until its rapid transit phase-the West End (Bath Beach) used various sized
steam dummies until 1900)