Re: (rshsdepot) Jim Guthrie's comments

rshsdepot
Dteve asked:
> > . A
> > person purchasing, say, a Huntington-Linden monthly commutation
ticket
> > would find it was only good to Brooklyn or LI City
>
> How far back was this, Jim?  I was selling tickets in the late
1960's (extra
> board, mostly Atlantic Branch) and if I recall correctly, each
station had
> separate printed stock for 10-trips, monthlies, etc, to Penn Sta,
and to
> Flatbush.

1967

In working extra board hither and yon, I never saw printed
station-to-station stock for interline commutation tickets. You'll
remember that they were green, and had plenty of places for
punching -- with at least 8 spaces for all 30 days of the month. But
Huntington and Hicksville both had rubber stamps for Linden, since
some folk apparently commuted to the GM facility. The ticket that got
me in trouble at Hicksville was the School Monthly to Newark -- which
turned out to have some instructions on how to do it scribbled on a
paper taped to each ticket case just so flustered extra clerks
wouldn't hold up the long lines on the first Monday of the month <g>.
I think the kids who bought them always went for the "new" guy just to
torment them.

But the Supps were different. The single rides were smaller than
regular tickets; the ten trippers were a bit larger, and the monthlies
were a little larger than that -- bigger than a normal weekly, but
smaller than a restricted monthly. All were printed on a light grey
stock, IIRC. The most common sale of the supps were ten trippers for
commuters who generally went to Brooklyn or HPA, but occasionally used
Penn Station. I don;t recall ever selling a Hell Gate Supp, though I
do recall selling NH interlines via NYP and GCT.

Cheers,
Jim