Re: (rshsdepot) Communipaw redux . . .

rshsdepot
Guess my reply on the Bush Sheds at Jersey City was premature...I should
read all my mail first. Glad to hear the sheds are still there!
The Bush sheds' internal design has probably led to questions regarding
their stability at Jersey City. In a unique design, rain water from the
roofs drains down through the center columns, and, I believe, goes
underground to dry wells. After the CNJ abandoned Jersey City (and
"abandoned" is, indeed, the operative word! I visited the terminal and the
Communipaw Engine Terminal in the summer of 1969, and it still looked like
everyone was out to lunch and returning any minute! Tools lying where they
were left, etc.) in 1967 when the Aldene Plan went into effect, no further
maintenance was done on either the sheds, or their drainage systems. As a
result, the columns became clogged and filled up with rainwater, which had
no place to go. How much deterioration actually took place as a result of
this, however, was a matter of conjecture in 1982.

Don