Re: (rshsdepot) Re:SIRT

rshsdepot
According to my 1894 Poor's Manual of Railroads:

"Baltimore and New York Ry"

Cranford, NJ to Arthur Kill Bridge, 5.5 miles. Chartered under laws of State of New Jersey Nov. 19,
1888, Built in 1889. Controlled by the B&O RR Co., and operated as the New York Div. of that
company. Locomotives, 3. Cars, 2.  (excerpted)

According to my 1886 Poor's:

"Staten Island Rapid Transit Railroad"

"Since the close of the fiscal year a controlling interest (51 percent) in the stock of this company
has been acquired by the Baltoimore and Ohio RR Co, which proposes constructing an extension of its
line to a connection with this company's road at Tottenville, including the construction of a bridge
over the Arthur Kills."

The SIRT entry above implies that the B&O's entrance to the island would be at the south end of the
Arthur Kills. Three or so years later, the line had been constructed via Cranford and the Arthur
Kills Bridge we know today connecting E'port with Arlington.

I am just quoting entries here since I am not an expert on the B&O (for shame). But it is
interesting that the line over the Arthur Kills opened in the same year (1889) as Communipaw
Terminal. This does narrow down a possible timetable search. The Royal Blue started running July 31,
1890 and my 1893 Official Guide shows B&O service to Communipaw and some limited SIRT service from
St. George to Arlington.

So, if there was some kind of through service to St. George, it might indeed have been very short
lived.  I hope somebody with more expertise can come up with a definitive answer.

Dick Makse