Re: (erielack) Steamtown Images--September 10, 2013 (C3286 thru C3290)

I should have added that the remnant of one of the gates appears to be laying on the ground in 3288, the reason for which may also be the reason for the photography.  The muddy roads in pre-pavement days must have made crossing a railroad very difficult to sit though.  We know how annoying potholes are today with our modern suspension systems.  Imagine ridding in the muddy ruts and bumping on and off of crossing timbers.

                   ....Mike Del Vecchio

- -----Original Message-----

From: mdelvec952 <mdelvec952_@_aol.com>

To: erielack <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>

Sent: Tue, Sep 10, 2013 11:48 am

Subject: Re: (erielack) Steamtown Images--September 10, 2013 (C3286 thru C3290)

The 3287 neg is also Hoboken, a grand view showing that elegant clock towersitting over the trainshed.

The 3288, '89 and '90 are the east side of Madison on the old grade, one of themshowing that sharp curve.  The hoppers and photographer's train in the distancemay actually be sitting on the new line that is today's NJTransit, underconstruction in this view.  That crossing should be Kings Road.

Very interesting, that old line, as it had a couple of sharp curves, and I'vewondered if there is some discussion in the chief engineer's files about theoperating challenges in Madison due to those curves, and the expense of thecrossing watchmen who protected them.  Some of it is visible today in backyards,while some is completely erased. The sattelite view shows the tree-lines sort ofindicate the old grade that curved so much that the line was on the shoulder oftoday's main street. When initially built, the Morris & Essex to save money wasconnecting plots of land that were donated. The old grade traversed the Samsonestate, crossing Kings Road twice in the process. Truesdale tried to straightenthat out where possible.

           &nbsp;    ....Mike Del Vecchio