RE: (erielack) West Paterson Spur

Jerome wrote:

> The alleged track was not in front of that station when I first went there
> around 1970. There was nothing there but an all concrete station with
broken
> windows and doors

Umm, can you please provide some context? Where in Randy's E-mail did he
mention an "alleged track in front of that <WHAT?> station"?

Randy Brown wrote:

> The western part of the Boonton still operates from Mountain View (near
> Wayne, NJ) to Denville as NJT's Boonton Line (well -- what else?)

Actually, to further muddy the waters, today it's called NJT's
"Montclair-Boonton Line", since the east end of the NY&GL/Boonton Line was
"railbanked" east of Montclair, and a new connection put in between the
former DL&W Montclair Branch and the NY&GL/Boonton Line at that point.

> South of Paterson, the closest the Newark Branch got to the Greenwood
> Lake, before or after the Mountain View changeover, was about 40 feet
> (straight up!) where the Greenwood Lake crossed the Passaic River way
> above the Newark Branch which runs along the river.

Randy, have you been gone from NJ for THAT long? :)

This isn't exactly the case. The Greenwood Lake crosses the Passaic River at
WR Drawbridge at West Arlington. It doesn't cross any railroads at this
point.  The Newark Branch is crossed overhead about about a quarter mile
west of the Passaic. See this satellite image:

http://goo.gl/maps/XK4Vc

WR is the bridge spanning the Passaic River at lower right, and the Newark
Branch can be seen running bottom-to-top at the lft - you can even see the
NY&GL bridge over it in the break in the trees. The Newark Branch starts
heading inland from the river at this point.

> Next -- please recognize that many, if not most, of us don't know "RM"
> junction from "RM" Nixon.  Using geographic names is a big help to anyone
> who's trying to follow all this on a map.

Agreed, thanks!