Re: (erielack) West Paterson Spur

Paul and List,

Aerial photographs of the DL&W Boonton Line in the

late 1940's show two sidetracks located on this section

of track through Paterson, NJ. While I recall that the

sidetrack serving the coal dock was removed by 1974,

the sidetrack west of the Valley Road bridge remained

in service for a while longer.

While researching this matter, I came across a drawing

depicting the proposed route between Bergen Junction

and Paterson in connection with the elimination of grade

crossings Paterson-Passaic, NJ. This drawing was issued

by the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad Company, Office of

Chief Engineer on October 9, 1962.

Copies of Special Orders dated October 23, 1963 were

also located and describe details associated with the

installation of Automatic Block Signal System (ABS) and

Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) on the Greenwood Lake

Branch from Forest Hill ("OJ" to Mountain View "MV".

CTC on the Boonton Line between Paterson Junction and

Mountain View was retired at that time. Back then, what

we now know as the Totowa Spur was designated as the

Little Falls Industrial Spur by Special Order.

Bill