RE: (erielack) The sounds of F-Units.

Paul I posted this not my Brother Bill. But anyway in talking to fans out
here in the St Louis area they said the same thing about E-7's and E 8's,The
E 7 had a similar exhaust setup to the FT with 4 per engine, The E 8 had
two, like later F units. Of course they were 12 cylinder and not 16. But
having two or 3 of them climb Kirkwood Hill would have been the equivalent
to two or three on Nay Aug Hill after the tunnel. The Train Masters were a
complete other story, They had a deep bass thrumming that could be heard
coming for miles. Once they were upon you they literally shook the ground. I
walked many miles trackside from Prescott Ave to Moscow and it was always
the same the noise of the Train Masters was overwhelming. Have to throw this
in here , after the merger we were blessed with Alco Pa's usually one in
consist with 2 E 8's. But once in awhile especial on the evening Hoboken to
Elmira train you would have pairs, and they would return east bound the next
day for a turn at the east bound symphony on Nay Aug Grade. My Grandmother
used to say the Train Masters were the only engines to rattle the glasses in
the kitchen since steam. Thanks for the clip Paul. The usual makeup of FM
H2466's was three on the point if pulling a train or two on the rear if used
as pushers. I to remember being on the footbridge and being disappointed if
the sound I heard coming out of the tunnel was 4 FT's instead of something
newer, Oh NO not Ft's again. What you would do to be able to photograph 4 on
the front and 2 on the back pushing now. What was neat was you couldn't see
the tunnel from the bridge as the was a curve before the tracks ducked into
it , but I was always right once I heard the sounds of them. My cousin Sam
now owns the house there at Myrtle St. Last time I was there we interrupted
dinner to watch 6 DL Alco's take a train up the grade. You can still get a
heck of a sound show on Nay Aug Hill, although now Iam harder of hearing.
Sam Weibel....