Re: (erielack) ES99/SE98

In a message dated 10/20/2012 11:00:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tmeehan0421_@_gmail.com writes:

I don't  have the date but the derailment I mentioned in the previous
message was  described to me by a former CNJ employee as taking
place at Bell's Bridge  on the tight curve by the Delaware River. He wrote
that ES99 derailed there  ("ignoring repeated crew reports of a serious
track defect...what do crews  know, anyway... duh") with many cars
derailed, several units wound up in  the river, fires, etc. Not sure if
there were any fatalities. I sure hope  not!

Retired DL&W employee and EL Road Foreman M. C. Wickman has written a  book
on his railroad career.  It's titled THE GLOVED HAND and covers this
event.  By the time of this wreck, Mike was working as General Road  Foreman of
Engines for the CNJ and because he was previously qualified on the EL  where
the wreck happened, he was permitted to qualify CNJ crews over the  route.

While riding a westbound that morning Mike noted the rough track and upon
arriving at Scranton, went to the Superintendent's office and reported it
personally to the Supt.  The report was fluffed off, but Mike had a
witness---the CTD.  That night the ES99 wrecked resulting in extensive  damage to
three locomotives, many freight cars and the loss of life to a  brakeman.

Tommy's comment:  what do crews know, anyway... duh
>> Exactly----I've worked for two superiors in my career that were  experts
in all fields.  They absolutely knew everything about signals,  track,
locomotives, freight cars, real estate, operations, law, and whatever  else came
across their desk.  In reality, the only thing both of these guys  knew was
how to duck visits and phone calls while they sat in their offices  doing
their nails....unless is was a favorable photo op or press  conference.  Mike
also covers this problem in his book.  It's filled  with personalities and
politics.

I strongly suggest, that if this subject interests you, contact Mike and
purchase a copy of THE GLOVED HAND.  You can purchase directly from him  at:
_hogger1647_@_sbcglobal.net_ (mailto:hogger1647@sbcglobal.net)

I have no interest in the book sales other than I obtained a copy.   Mike
was a Road Foreman in Meadville when I was an Operator and Extra Dispatcher
on the Mahoning Divn.

SMT