RE: (erielack) Building the entire Erie RR on PILES!

JHPFor those listers with a copy of Hungerford's "Men of Erie" this sad episode in the NY&E's onstruction is given brief mention on page 53.  Mott's "Story of Erie" goes into a far more extensive coverage of this "folly and extravagence" on pages 48 and 323.  This subject may make an interesting article for the Diamond--I'll look into it.        In researching for an uncoming presentation on the Erie's Corning Line Change (placed in service on November 22nd, 1952, sixty years ago) I came across the following in "Corning and Vicinity 1789-1920" (Uri Milford, 1921): pg 158-"May 7, 1841........Eight spile driving machines are now at work between Owego and Hornellsville, and also several grading parties" and at pg 159- "A boat load of rails, for the New York & Erie Railroad, arrived last week," says the Advocate of September 15, 1841, adding "This does not look much like the spiles rotting before the rails will be laid, as predicted by opponents of the road."      Note that the piles were called "spiles."      The NY&E was cursed with some poor engineering decisions and the abortive "railroad on piles" through the Susquehanna River valley was one of them.  This folly cost the NY&E $600,000 to $1,000,000 (Mott) for about 117 miles of this pile structure upon which no track was ever laid.  Sad.MJC