RE: (erielack) Re:Erie Lackawanna-track abandonment question

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-10-17-12

slateford.jpg (image/jpeg, 1317x876 197128 bytes, BF: 5.85 ppb)

> That is a great photo. I've always wondered why EL didn't put in a Xover
> where the Cutoff diverged from the Old Road to create a passing siding. I
> don't know exactly how many feet to the Slateford Jct switch, but it would
> have been long enough for short freights and made it easier for CS-9 and
> SC-8 to work Portland. This Xover plus extending the passing siding at
> Greendell would have significantly increased the capacity of this route,
but I
> presume EL didn't have the money even for that.

For clarity, I've annotated this shot of NY-98 swinging onto the Old Road at
Slateford to do some work in Portland.  The red arrow is approximately the
location where the Old Road finally connects up with the Cut-Off Main.

It appears that it would be long enough for a passing siding, but
realistically, the siding at Greendell was only 17 miles away on the Cut-Off
and the double-track at East Stroudsburg was less than 4 miles west of
Slateford Jct at Bells Bridge, so I'm not sure if the capacity would have
increased "significantly" if the siding was put in here. And looking at the
schedules, there were only about 8 through freights in each direction each
day, and the schedules of most of them didn't have them meeting too often.