Re:RE: (erielack) Erie Lackawanna-track abandonment question

The "aerial" view shows the Cut-Off ramp and bridge as single track.  Was it built this way and doubled later?  Was the viaduct built double wide?

Randy Brown
> I have wondered about this myself. While the cut off was single tracked in
> 1958, I have seen pictures online of SD45 led trains going through the water
> gap area and there are 2 tracks. I have also seen many more pics where there
> is only 1 track and, there is no sign of a second, No ties, ballast etc. The
> weeds and brush are grown right up to the single track. Was there some kind
> of siding here at some point? Did the track from the old road join the main in
> the same place it does today, or did they run next to each other for a bit. This
> would explain the double track.

The junction switch at Slateford Junction actually was west of the tower by quite a distance. At this point, it would have appeared as a double-track main, when in reality it was the Old Road at that point. The Green Frog EL video has a nice sequence of an EL freight backing down the old road at this point to make way for the NKP 765 heading east at this location.