 From: Hoboken <hoboken_@_michiganwolverine.com>
To: EL Mail List <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:47 PM
Subject: (erielack) Caldwell Branch Operations

Some gave me a Greenwood Lake Branch/Caldwell Branch passenger timetable from the early 1960's, and I have a couple of questions about operations.  A few of the Caldwell Branch trains went to Hoboken, but some were shuttle trains from Essex Fells to Great Notch, to transfer to a Greenwood Lake Branch train.

First, the timetable shows two consecutive shuttle trains, but, considering the running time between Essex Fells and Great Notch, it does not seem as if there would be sufficient time to run the engine around at Essex Fells, couple on, pump up the air, do an air test, run to Great Notch, run around, etc.  Were there any passing sidings where an eastbound empty shuttle could pass the westbound shuttle to get back to Great Notch for the next run?

Second, where was the equipment stored overnight and weekends?  At Essex Fells?  Were there steam lines or auxiliary power to warm up the coaches in the winter and to keep the coach batteries charged?  Or did it all run back to Hoboken?  Since there was no standard clocks or Special Order Books and Bulletin Boards at Essex Fells or Great Notch, it seems logical that the trains returned to Hoboken.

Third, was the Caldwell Branch signalled, or were trains operated by train order?  From where was movement controlled?

Ken B.