Re: (erielack) Re: Consist Sheets

Brad,

Yes, as Joe M. said, lots of typos.  Many of the typos are probably
the result of an IBM punch card (anyone remember those?) that was
not read properly by the machine.  You will see that most of the typos
are one letter off.  In other words, the car type of "ES" that Joe found
was really an "ET",  one letter off.  Empty Tank.

If you are really interested, you have to double check some of the
cars against the Official Railway Equipment Register.  I got one from
January, 1976, on eBay.  When I find a questionable one, I look it
up in the "freight car phone book" as I like to call it.  And you are
right, Dupont had both tank cars and covered hoppers.

The consist sheets provide interesting information.  My advice is to
just take them at face value.  They show you cars that we know
appeared on the railroad.  They cannot show you what did not appear
on the railroad.  And they are not a statistically significant sample.
Who's to say that the next train that day, which we have no record
of, wasn't all DT&I boxcars?  Okay, unlikely, but hopefully you get
my point.

I use the consist sheets to guide my purchases of model railroad
rolling stock to the extent that road names that appear frequently
were probably fairly common in EL trains, such as PC, ATSF, UP,
NW, and BN.  I wouldn't want to buy a dozen RF&P boxcars when
not a single one showed up in the consists (right, Paul?).  I compared
what I had in my collection to what was common in the consist
sheets and discovered I needed more PC, NW, and UP cars and
not just BN, but predecessors like CBQ, GN, and NP.  When
a manufacturer announces a new model available in 6 or 8 road
names, I go to the list and find out if any of them showed up in
EL trains.  If one did, that's the one I buy.

Joe,

As for the consist sheet project, I said before I'm willing to pitch in
and do 5 or 10.  But not 50.  Heck, I've already got a big head start
with the Srn Tier database, which is 11,676 cars.

- -pat moore