Re: (erielack) DT&I on mahoning div

Brad,

In my Southern Tier traffic database, I have a breakdown of which cars
split off on the Buffalo Sub. and which cars went through the Mahoning
Div. 4th Sub.  So, I suspect that most of the cars in that second list would
have
traveled through the Mahoning area.

From the consist sheets, I have identified 8433 freight cars that almost
certainly traveled the Mahoning Div. 4th Sub.  (Note, it would be more,
but it is impossible to know for certain which cars in westbound
consists west of Marion went across the Tier.)  Anyway, of that number,
I found 68 DTI freight cars.  That translates to less than 1 in 100, but
keep in mind the consist sheets are not a statistically significant sample.
Of these cars, over half (39) were equipped boxcars in pools hauling auto
parts to/from the Ford Motor Co. plant in Mahwah, New Jersey.  The
other common DT&I cars were 40 foot insulated boxcars (like the Accurail
one) hauling food (quite possibly Campbell's Soup from the plant in Napoleon,
Ohio), as Joe Mayer said in an earlier e-mail.

So, to answer your question...yeah.  Or no.  A few DT&I cars would
be entirely appropriate.  No, they would not look out of place.
Especially an auto-parts boxcar in a group going to Mahwah.

- -pat moore