RE: (erielack) Re:October calendar images

> I believe that is correct, based on earlier conversations I have had with
Steve
> Timko.  Steve can set me straight on this, but I believe the U34's
displaced
> many of the RS units in the East, and they were shipped West where they
> became the yard workers in places like Meadville, Youngstown,
Leavittsburg,
> Akron, Marion, etc.  They also became very common on short-haul trains and
> some locals out here.  I would say this is where they remained until CR.
This
> move spelled the end of the Baldwin and Lima switchers for the most part,
> think.  Steve could provide better info, unit numbers, etc.

The U34CHs and increased air quality standards effectively sent the vast
majority of the RS fleet west. The former passenger Geeps (1400-1409) and
freight GP7s in the 1200-series took over the RS's former jobs, notably the
Ordinaries.

> I don't have the calendar, and the date wasn't mentioned here, but perhaps
> this is a photo of a movement of these units West at that time, and that
is
> why there are so many together in the photo?

Tsk tsk tsk! :)  We didn't have a date on the slide when we were doing the
calendar captions, but the units have a heavy (HEAVY) coat of road grime, so
I think they've been around for a bit....