Re: (erielack) EL THRU LINE PASSENGER TRAINS

And here we are entering the second decade of the 21st Century attempting
to reinvent passenger service via Amtrak and commuter railways.

I recall as a kid riding the Lake Cities from Scranton to Hoboken in the
60s. It left Scranton at roughly 6.30am but was clean and comfortable. One of
my destinations was Boston to visit relatives so I had to get from Hoboken
to Manhattan to Grand Central to catch the New Haven.

What a difference between Erie Lackawanna and New Haven. The latter was
clean as well but the service was less than hospitable whereas on EL,
professionalism and courtesy were alive and well.

Going to Boston over Thanksgiving via Amtrak this year showed me that
things are improving. On the busiest travel weekend of the year, we were on time
on both runs. It was stress free and the crew was professional, courteous
and actually seemed to care that passengers were taken care of.

I also give NJTransit high marks as their men and women appear to be real
railroaders and not just "customer service agents." Going to Devils games in
Newark, for example, we always ride NJT from Manhattan. It's worth it and
they often give us the "Go Devils" when we get to Penn Station Newark.

It's the little things that brings one back.

Rick