From: "intercityrailpal_@_netscape.net" <intercityrailpal@netscape.net>
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Sent: Thu, December 30, 2010 3:35:06 PM
Subject: (erielack) Dearborn Station

People on the list asked about Erie west end passenger service. One thing I
should tell you Dearborn station, from what I remember had wooden platforms with
those pesky pigeons living in the trainshed overhead, but unlike the Harrisburg
station on the Pennsy. I didn't see much of a problem. Also there was only one
modern, brightly lite, air conditioned room on the second floor. With a large
glass window that overlooked the platforms, which of course didn't look that
great to a non railfan. It was a back in depot, the food and services were fine.
It was a very interesting place. I always carried a ticket to the first station
east, so if the police stopped me I had a right to be on the property. With
Grand Trunk, Monon,Santa Fe,Erie and Wabash it was a very interesting place.
Union Station with the Pennsy,GM&O,CB&Q and Milwaukee always had that
Pennsylvania Railroad feel. It still does. Since Amtrak and the Northeast
Corridor are what's left of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Amtra!
k is better than the Pennsy in it's last days. But it still has the Pennsy feel
to it. Like lots of rules, and running on the old Pennsy property. Lance