Re: (erielack) EL THRU LINE PASSENGER TRAINS

The New York Central and the Pennsy got so bad, then there was Penn-Central. Dirty equipment, bad food, high prices. No service. I rode the "Buffalo Express a few times. First north of Olean, second south to Baltimore. At Harrisburg, they made the passengers get off the heavyweight coach drag their bags up those dirty stairs. Harrisburg has a open train shed. In those days hundreds of pigeons lived over head. Then announced the train, and had people drag their bags all the way back down to the same dirty coach.The trash on the floor next to my seat was still there. The Pennsy also in the middle of the night would get everyone up in coach to announce "Horseshoe curve view on the right side of the train" The Santa Fe which had good service also turned on all the lights at Kansas City?
 It got so bad on the Pennsy and the Central. The Western railroads told people to fly or take the bus to Chicago! To catch their trains. I couldn't understand this un till I saw for myself what was going on. The Erie was never that bad they just kept raising the prices and cutting the service. To the end I saw interline tickets on the floor from the Santa Fe. Long distance high revenue fares. Of course, there wasn't much business getting on #6 or off during the witching hours after 12M. Or 6AM. Many of the Western railroads maintained freight and passenger offices in New York and other cites till the end. There were no 800 numbers. I think Great Northern was the first to have 800 number. To call Hoboken from NY it was LONG DISTANCE. 201- OLdfield-9-2000. Or you could call BArclay-7-2500. That would give you a operator in the ferry terminal??? Then you could ask to be connected to the Hoboken ticket office without charge. Lance

- -----Original Message-----
From: Montgomery, Edward T <ETMontgomery_@_fcps.edu>
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net <erielack@lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Wed, Dec 29, 2010 7:20 pm
Subject: (erielack) EL THRU LINE PASSENGER TRAINS

I was reading the recent DIAMOND where it was written that EL's thru line trains
rom Chicago to New York (Hoboken) were considered the best trains to ride on.
 know that president Gregory Maxwell wanted first class service for as long as
 and 6 ran.  The question I have is how bad was the NYC, PRR later PC service
ompared to EL's.
Happy New Year!
Ed Montgomery