Re: (erielack) EL THRU LINE PASSENGER TRAINS

There is always the danger of remembering it better than it really was.
Now I wasn't the savvy rail rider that many of you guys were, I was just
a kid in high school when I took my one and only EL trip in August
1969.  After taking #28 Cleveland-Youngstown, I rode #6 to Scranton.  I
loved the EL and getting to ride it one last time, but from my limited
perspective it was service in decline.  The 1300 series coach I was on
had the air jacked up and it was so cold in the car all night.  The
conductor or trainmen could not adjust it.  (I was just wearing a
windbreaker jacket which I loaned to a girl sitting in the seat opposite
me.  She got off in Binghamton and by that time it was almost morning.)
I think there was a broken window shade (in the down position) near were
I was sitting.  Maybe all these are little things, but to non-railfans
who is going to miss that?

 From an employee perspective too, when your job is going to be gone or
you're transferred in a few months and there are service issues you
can't control, how enthusiastic are you going to feel about what you are
providing.  EL leadership wanted this train gone and they weren't going
to give you anything except the minimal to keep it running until it
could be ended.  I am sure there was some first class service (maybe in
the sleeper), but for the most part it wasn't.

Mike O