(erielack) Re: West-end helpers?

I have discussed this topic with Mike, but thought I would share with the
rest of you.  Nothing I have ever read, nor have any conversations with men
who worked the area around Wadsworth/Silver Creek Hill, indicated "assigned"
pushers in that area.

I have had some discussions with Keith Robbins regarding this.  According to
Keith, when an EB needed a push over the hill, the preferred method was to
pull a WB into the siding at either Silver Creek or Sterling, cut their
power, cross them over and use them to push the EB.  They could then cut
back through the manual trailing-point crossover at Sterling to head WB to
get back to the head end of their train.

Without a ready set of WB power, they could also double the hill.  They
would cut the train and take the head end up and over the crest of the hill
on the #2 track (main), run around it through the (short) EB siding, pull
the tail end to just short of crest, run back through the EB siding to the
head end, then shove back to reassemble the train.  Half the train is now
over the hill, and away you go.

Keith also stated that if a train was suspected of possibly stalling on the
hill, and a higher priority EB was behind it, they would likely hold the
slower EB at Polk or Sterling to allow the hotter train by.  He stated that
sometimes they would split an EB at Sterling, with the back half on the EB
siding, and the front half crossed over to the WB siding, split in the
middle to clear the interlocking.

As shown in the piece I wrote for The Diamond years ago, I witnessed an EB
CR freight that stalled before even reaching Wadsworth get a push from an
ex-EL RS3 that was switching Rittman.  I don't know that this was the
steepest part of the hill, but the sharp S-curve by the brickyard probably
added enough drag to bring a struggling train to its knees.

Joe Mayer
ELHS 702