Re: (erielack) re #3697, ice houses, etc.

List,

I haven't followed this thread that closely, but I was looking for an icing
station at East buffalo Yard a few weeks back. I thought I would look into
ice houses on the Erie. I came across a 1908 New York State Public Service
Commission report. It lists any changes or improvements to RR property in
New York State. I found the following references to Erie RR ice houses:

Buffalo - ice house was extended
Gowanda - repairs made
Rochester - new roof put on ice house
Pt Jervis - new ice house erected
Suspension Bridge - repairs made

Since only ice houses that had changes are listed, there may be many more at
other points. It would appear that the Erie had ice houses at its larger
yards at the turn of the century.

Ron Dukarm