RE: (erielack) Re: (erielack )Marion Ice house/Yard

Well I will come back with what I have found out. The ice house still appears on the Conrail ZTS map from 1984 so Obviously the building survived for a long while. Most likely one of those cases where it cost money to tear down and was easier to leave alone since no one was beating the door down for the land. Surprising is one of the responses I did get seems to indicate that the ice house was made of wood. Since I'm a youngen born in 1972 the only ice house I have seen personally was the old Union Pacific one in Council Bluffs. Which was a very large concrete or plastered over brick structure.

I would surmise reading the diamonds that discuss meat and produce traffic and the decline thereof, plus Kalmbach publishing material refering to the rise of the Air conditioned refer that most likely the ice house was just a fixture after 1972, possible a few years sooner then that.