Re: (erielack) NS/AMTRAK HAPPENINGS HERE

Thanks! Enjoyed reading this. Too bad Ohio gave up on this with $200 a barrel oil coming in five years.  Lackawanna Lance

- -----Original Message-----
From: Pieter K Terwilleger <01pterwi_@_charter.net>
To: EL Mail List <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Sun, Dec 19, 2010 12:50 pm
Subject: (erielack) NS/AMTRAK HAPPENINGS HERE

Hi Paul B!

Thanks for your input!

The State of North Carolina has made a substantial investment in the Piedmont and Carolinian, aboard which I am a Volunteer Train Host (I'minactive presently) on each as far as either Raleigh or Rocky Mount, with and extra Piedmont "Noon Train" added this year. The ridership has been growing substantially. Double tracking sections continues between Charlotte and Greensboro. Asheville is eager to institute passenger service to Salisbury to connect with these trains, and the folks at NCDOT are encouraged by the City of Asheville and the State's interest in making this a reality.

My Train Host "Boss", Ms. DeBrew, sent us this news:

"The state-owned Piedmont, which travels four times daily between Raleigh and Charlotte with stops in six other North Carolina cities, had the largest percentage increase in the nation, 46 percent. One reason for this increase is that mid-day service was added in June.

North Carolina’s Amtrak ridership saw an increase of more than 100,000 riders in the last fiscal year. Ridership was up from 688,595 to 791,157. Ticket revenues were up more than 19 percent.

Amtrak National ridership, which includes all trains that run throughout the country, grew by 5.7 percent over 2009 from just over 27 million to 28.7 million passengers in 2010. Revenues were up nearly nine percent in 2010.

“We are pleased to see that more and more people are taking the train,” said State Transportation Secretary Gene Conti. “We are confident that as we add more schedule options and increase travel speed, this trend will continue.”

Teshena B. DeBrew
Operations Program Coordinator
NCDOT Rail Division

On another note, last week I was in touch with the NS regarding quashing the rails to trails concept on the A&S Line. As regards freight ops, the response was, and I quote, "Mr. Terwilleger – A rail line cannot be converted to trails unless and until the line is abandoned. While that line segment is currently inactive, it has not been abandoned, and Norfolk Southern has no plans to do so, because it has the potential to carry traffic again at some point in the future. I hope this helps."

While there are always the nay-sayers who caution that NS is hiding the real truth, with the exception of one major washout near here, the rest of the line is in excellent condition, with high-railer trucks on occasion spraying for weeds and kudzu, plus fallen trees being cleared. It gives the people in Tryon a start when a truck suddenly appears on the rails, using its vehicle horn to blow for the grade crossings. Interestingly enough, the crossing flashers are dark, and no one from the truck flags the crossings.

Just thought this might be of interest............

Pete