RE: (erielack) Different Box Car Lettering

Ron Dukarm wrote:

> I always thought it would be interesting to put together a
> program on odd-ball paint schemes. I have a few. I always
> collected the earlier stuff, pre WWII. If you go before 1920
> you really come into a lot of unique Erie and DL&W paint
> schemes. Seems like each shop made up their own.
>
> It would be an interesting thread. Here's one to start it
> off. Not sure where I got it.

I think I have the same photo in my collection too, Ron. It appears that some wise-acre DL&W fan painted out the top two arms of the "E"

I have a boatload of other "quirks" like this - both freight and diesel - that I'll try to start posting tonight.

If you're an ELHS member, you should now have access to the series of articles I wrote for the ELH&TS "Limited" on EL caboose paint schemes that noted a few paint oddities on some of the schemes.

As a general rule of thumb, prior to around 1972, there seemed to be a bit of variation in stuff put out by Meadville. Around 1972, the standards became much more "nailed down" (which leads me to believe there HAVE to be specification drawings out there, somewhere?) and consistent among newly-outshopped equipment. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.... :)