RE: (erielack) Different Box Car Lettering

> http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-12-16-10
>
> 55178.jpg (image/jpeg, 865x720 364554 bytes, BF: 1.71 ppb)
> 55178_Bing_5-14-78.jpg (image/jpeg, 866x704 353082 bytes, BF:
> 1.73 ppb) 55178_sm.jpg (image/jpeg, 432x351 33917 bytes, BF: 4.47 ppb)
>
> Here are my three snapshots of 55178 from Binghamton
> (5-14-78).  These were taken with a Kodak Instamatic so not
> the sharpest, but I did enlarge the two better photos.
>
> One thing I noticed, the EL in the reporting marks above the
> number looks to be the same size stencil used on the ERIE
> LACKAWANNA lettering.
>
> Mike Oravec

Mike,

Thanks for the shots! Now that it's a little clearer, the typeface used on the reporting marks appears to closely match the ones applied by ACF to the handful of pressure-differential Centerflow cars the EL had - could this possibly have been an ACF repair?

The typeface on the end reporting marks matches the capacity typeface.

The "ERIE LACKAWANNA" appears to be made up of individual letters from a different sans-serif typeface - as Mike points out, the "EL" does seem to be the same typeface (the number "55178" also appears to be the same, albeit in a smaller size)

It looks like they ripped off the Champ decal for the Diamond, though! :)

	- Paul

P.S. To make you feel old :), you took these photos on my 7th birthday. Happy birthday to me!