Re: EL Fate (was RE: (erielack) Alco Farewell / Economy Changes)

I financed a semester of college off my sale of PC stock at 81 3/8 (not the top) from the shares I bought over my grandfoather and his broker's strong ojection (PRR at 13). As my mom and grandmother said, "You said you'd buy him ten shares of any stock he wanted. A deal is a deal!"

The best part is, the "sure fire" stock grampa purchased the same day (Great Northern Iron Ore)  at 21 7/8 dropped shortly thereafter to 14 and stayed there for years.

I tried for NYS&W stock, but Irving Maidman was still scooping it up -- at the highest price it ever reached after emerging from the 1953 bankruptcy. Ex WB&E bondholders selling to Maidman in those days would have netted 20 cents on a dollar on their investment, all totaled had they sold to Maidman at that point <g>.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie
ELHS #1296