RE: (erielack) Different Box Car Lettering

> Here is a slide of EL 55178 with non-standard lettering.
> Even on the logo, the cut of the diamond is thinner.  It says
> MDV 4-74 on there, but I'm wondering if that's where the car
> was actually painted.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Erie-Lackawanna-freight-car-odd-Original-S
> lide-1977-/380298740955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588b9244db
>
> Is this a one-of-a-kind lettering scheme?
>
> Mike Oravec

I'm really on the fence on this one. At first glance, I was going to say it was a model, and I'm still leaning in that direction. That particular diamond style was never used on an EL freight car, to the best of my knowledge, but I know that someone (Champ?) has a decal set with this same exact style of diamond.

If it's a REAL car, I'm guessing this was a wreck repair done by someone (maybe even CR?) It's obviously a fairly new paint job (look at the shine on the end!) The typefaces don't match ANYTHING that Meadville used - by 1974, they were using Gothic capacity data, and the data on this car appears to be a square-stencil typeface.   The roadname appears to be almost hand-lettered.

I'd be willing to say this was a one-of-a-kind, and again, I don't think this paint job was a product of Meadville. Their paint jobs were FAR better than this!