Re: (erielack) ALCO plant farewell

List,

I have heard that ALCO had trouble with their 244's. The 251  was an
improvement. ALCO's were good (relatively) on fuel and ALCO's were good  pullers.

GE's, from what I understand were never designed to last like  ALCO's and
EMD's. This is supposedly the reason you don't see too many of them  on
shortlines, etc. They are a throw away locomotive. You keep them just so  long,
then you scrap them. GE financing DID make a difference, too. They could
'buy" business. GE's were also good pullers but for reliability and higher
speeds EMD was the choice for many years.

Then it seems that GM did with EMD what they did to their car  business -
tried to do it on the cheap and had bad results.

A couple of railroaders I talked to said that GE's are good  for about two
years and then they're junk.

In a message dated 12/10/2010 5:47:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,