(erielack) EL HOLIDAY

I can remember DL&W and EL both decorating Hoboken terminal with a rather larger Christmas Tree in the main waiting room.  My aunt told me she saw a tree in the Tavern Lounge of the "Phoebe" once.  For a company that had marginal passenger service and could have easily downgraded everything like, say the Southern Pacific did, they kept the service first class.  During the Thanksgiving-New Years period, did they issue special menus in their diners?  Does anybody remember what travel during this time of the year was like.  The crew of the ferry "LACKAWANNA" used to decorate it with a banner and a tree with lights behind one of the pilot houses.

I was looking at the latest DIAMOND and noticed the black and white picture of Erie locomotives and one DL&W Trainmaster at Hoboken.  This was taken in March of 1958.  Within a year or so, DL&W would have pulled all of the TM's out of passenger service replacing them usually with F3 A units running back to back.  That gave the Boonton Line trains an air of class but I missed the deep roar of the TMs.  I hope somebody recorded that sound.  I wanted to record the CNJ TMs and kept putting it off until they were gone - missed opportunity.

Hope you're enjoying the season!

Ed Montgomery