Re: (erielack) The Erie's access into Maybrook

Born in 1982? Geez, Walter, you must be the baby on this list! Erie/EL
operations into and out of Maybrook changed continuously over the years as
traffic declined and trains were consolidated. The key to understanding
Maybrook is Port Jervis yard, which served as a base for Maybrook
operations. In Erie years, some freights were pure Maybrook interchange.
After absorption into PC on 1/1/69, traffic dropped precipitously, and
Maybrook traffic was mixed in with Mahwah/Suffern, Paterson and NY Terminal
cars. EB cars were preblocked for the most part, and you could have a pure
Maybrook train run from PO (such as NE-74) after setting off NY cars, or NY
trains set out Maybrook blocks at Campbell Hall or take them right into
Maybrook, as Bill described. Operations varied from day to day depending on
traffic levels and crew availability. In the final years, EL power would
often run through to Cedar Hill yard in New Haven, and would often be
combined with the L&HR train. The last through train over the route in early
May, 1974 was the combined NE-74/OB-2 (a spark from the power is blamed for
starting the fire on the Poughkeepsie Bridge, which might be disputed by
conspiracy theorists). In the 1970's, PC power could run through to PO with
NE-97, and then return with NE-74. NE-97 was classified at Maybrook for
various western terminals. John Adams could tell us a lot about this
operation.

Paul B

From: "Walter J. Conklin IV" <walterc_10940_@_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (erielack) The Erie's access into Maybrook

Bill,

Thank you for providing me with more details as to the operations that took
place at Maybrook. It is hard for me to contextualize the operations we are
discussing given that I was born in 1982 and all of the aforementioned
railroads
were no longer in existence.

Are you referring to westbound trains that originated at Maybrook in your
post?
As you wrote, the Erie trains would use the Graham Line.

Sincerely,
Walter