RE: (erielack) Athearn F7 EL b&y dynamic brake question

> List (& Paul)
>
> On the latest version of the Athearn EL b&y Genesis F7 units
> there are different dynamic brake details than what I
> expected to see. First, weren't the engines originally
> delivered with the 36" dynamic brake fans (711A-D, through
> 713A-D)? On the models, F7A 7131 has the F3 dynamic brake
> screen. F7B has no dynamic brake. I picked up some additional
> dummy units on eBay that were purported to be the original
> preproduction models. F7A 7131 again with F3 type dynamic
> brake screens (though there are some differences in above cab
> roof details from the production model), F7B 7122, again with
> no db, and F7A 7104 with F3 dynamic brake screens (though,
> again, there are some differences in above cab roof details
> from the production model) .
>
> I know on later Genesis models Athearn has striven to be
> accurate so I have been wondering if the EL changed out DB
> components on some F7s as they aged. I know that in some
> cases DB were removed which I assume accounts for the B
> units. Does anyone on the list have more specific information
> about this?

Since I'm the one who worked with Athearn on these units, I can offer a bit of insight on these units...

First off, I have photographs of all five units that show these details are correct. So fear not, the Athearn details are exactly right.

Now, as for those DB fans... the EL started removing dynamic brakes from many of their F-units starting in the early 1960s. There really was no rhyme or reason as to what units had them removed, and there was even less rhyme or reason as to how the removal was done. Several units had the DB fans removed with a flat panel, creating an odd "depression" in the curved roof. Others had them replaced with a curved panel to match the adjacent roofline. The 7131 was a real odd duck - it was built with a 36" DB fan, and later it received the F3-style DB screened openings (as per the Athearn model). My only theory for this is that a replacement 36" fan was needed (don't forget, the radiator fans for F3s, F7s, and GP7s were all 36" fans), and it was swapped with a spare F3 DB set.

BTW, the F3A-B set Athearn did represent one half of the ex-NYO&W F3 set the Erie purchased. The rationale for these: They were relatively stock, unmodified units; and more importantly, these two units were some of the last black/yellow F-units running on the EL (if memory serves me, they were retired in 1969), making them useful for a wide range of EL modeling years. Note that they never received GMY paint, and were retired in their B/Y scheme.

> An additional question: Were there any ex-DL&W units in the
> b&y scheme with the same configuration (including a solid
> nose dore with the larger diamond)? I am wondering whether I
> could renumber some of the duplicates.

I'll check once I get home this weekend (I'm off in Boulder, CO on business this week) and let you know...